Thursday, July 10, 2014

Heard Some News...

     I want to start by telling you that I love this card!  :-D  (Nothing like setting you up for sweet comments.)  The image is from QKR Stampede and I tried something I haven't done in ever so long -- watercolor paints.  Actual paints with a brush, not watercolor pencils and gamsol.


     The background paper is made with water color paints on sketch paper.  That was the easy part.  It's all done with a couple of different greens; yes, including the "beige."  Some places the colors overlap and other places the color is almost gone completely because of the amount of water added.

     When it came to the cute bug, I discovered something I had forgotten and that is how hard it is to shade and highlight an image when you are using a brush and watercolors.  I must have printed the image 3 or 4 different times, started painting it, and then thrown away half-colored images because of bleeding and overruns.  However, I was really pleased with this last attempt.  I did have to use a white gel pen around the outside of the bug's back but it worked.

     I die cut the image and added a bit of lace trim to the bottom of the card.  I wanted a CAS card for easy mailing.  I'm sending this to a young girl who just needs some friendly encouragement right now.

     Challenges:
AAA Cards
Crafting at the Weekend
Cutie Pie
Digi Galore
Digi Makeover
Fairytale
Love to Create
QKR Stampede
Suzy Bee's Bloomin'
Tok Bobok

     That's it from me for today.  My weekend starts tomorrow and I have wonderful plans so I'll see you again on Monday.  But I will have a couple of posts scheduled so you won't even miss me.  :-D  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

18 comments:

3ickleangels said...

Hi NC. It's an adorable card and you've done a brilliant job with the water colours. Kerry xx

nwilliams6 said...

Super fun card! I have totally fallen in love with watercolors after I took an on-line watercolor class and now I can't stop using them. Love the colors you used on the image - so realistic. BTW - I saw where you won the MFPSpeedyTV Inspiration Challenge for last week! Congrats. Hugz!

Anne Temple said...

This is just as cute as can be. Love the background and your coloring of the image is fantastic.

Benzi said...

Wonderful card, Connie. It has been so long since I have water colored with a brush, but I sure enjoyed it when I did. Good job!!!

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous, I love the image and the beautiful lace.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Dawn Lancaster said...

Love it NanaC! Well done on getting the watercolours out!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Jane said...

Love that you persevered with the watercolours on the bug. Thanks for joining us at AAA Cards again this week.

jimlynn said...

Cute as a bug.......AND great coloring with the paint/watercolor. Love the background you created too.
Hope you have a good long weekend!
Lynn

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome job! Isn't painting addictive? :) Thanks for joining in with AAA.

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow, NanConnie, I am impressed with your watercoloring. I have tried this technique many times and it is not easy, especially with digis since sometimes the ink (if using an inkjet printer) will run. You certainly have enabled me to give this technique another try!
Super fun image and card!

Joann Burton said...

Oh Connie, Your are always trying new things or working with old things you have not used in a long time. Your card is wonderful....I love the "bug". Enjoy your weekend...Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

Teresa Arsenault said...

So cute and you colored it beautifully too. Great background paper. :)

karalschuknecht said...

I love it, beautiful work. Thanks for joining us this week for our Bug challenge.
Karal DT for QKR Stampede

Hazel said...

Thanks for sharing your super creation for Suzy Bee's Bloomin' challenge 36 - hope to see you again soon, Hazel, DT x

Victoria Lavender said...

He's a cutie (even if he is wiggly) Great background too. I have a fix for you. When I print an image and watercoloring has a good chance of getting out of line- I use a clear embossing pen, trace the image, throw on clear embossing powder and hit it with a heat gun. Can make things much easier and faster. Big hugs, Victoria, AAA Cards

Intruderlady said...

Such a fun card. Like the image and all the greens.
Thanks for joining challenge #123 at Love to Create.

Kitty
LTC DT

Ruza Rebel said...

Adorable card ... such a sweet image. Thank you for joining our "Fussy & Fancy OR Clean & Layered" Challenge at Love to Create this week.
Ruza ~ LTC Admin/Designer
Ruza's Craft Corner

Wendy Fraser said...

Super card, great result with your watercolours. Thanks for joining us at Cutie Pie xx